Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Get Your Learn On: Austrian Style

I love this wine. It may be the "entry level" Riesling from Schloss-Gobelsburg, but I'll tell you what - if a boutique California winery made a simple Riesling this delicious it would retail for twice the price and the press release would include the hubris to announce a new grand cru level terroir.


This is just another great example of why Austria has the best collection of dry Rieslings in the world. Sorry, Alsace. Love your wines also, but I'm partial to your neighbors a couple doors to the East.

Want to learn some more about the wines of Austria? Here are some links to check out.

All things official can be found here.

The Austrian Wine USA blog has some solid info and is updated often.

My personal favorite source is the great importer Terry Theise over at the Skurnik Wines site.


Terry's vintage catalogs are the stuff of legend in the wine biz and are both great reading and an excellent source to learn about wine. I came to know Mr. Theise's work several years ago as I found that many of the great Austrian wines I was falling in love with were part of his portfolio. No one else can speak about wine quite like Terry. I'm a huge fan. In addition to Austria, Terry also represents wines from Germany and grower Champagne. All good stuff. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

~ vs

No comments:

Post a Comment